These are a simple pasty which make a nice dinner. The recipe is mild enough that my kids like them and it’s been a good way to get my non-meat eaters eating meat and my carnivores to eat veggies. They also freeze well.
- 1lb ground chicken
- 2 T Canola Oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 lb of mushrooms sliced
- 2-3 carrots thinly sliced
- 2 large potatoes peeled and cut to small dice
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1 large clove of garlic crushed
- 2t Cumin
- 1t Curry powder
- 1t fresh grated Ginger
- 1t Salt
- chicken broth
- Cook Potatoes in chicken broth to cover until tender
- Heat oil in frying pan, add chicken, onion, mushrooms, carrots, garlic, ginger and salt.
- cook until chicken is no longer pink and onion is translucent.
- Add this to potatoes, along with cumin and curry powder.
- Cook on medium heat until carrots are tender.
- Using a hand potato masher or fork, mash mixture slightly.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 t salt
- 1 cup butter or shortening – chilled and cut into cubes
- 6T ice water
- Place flour and salt into food processer and pulse to mix
- add butter and/or shortening – pulse until it resembles course meal.
- slowly add icewater while pulsing – just until it holds together
- Form into ball, cover and let rest 10 minutes in fridge
- Working in small batches, roll to 1/8 inch thick and cut out 8 inch circles (I used a pan lid as a template)
- Top each circle with about 1/4 cup of filling
- Brush edges with beaten egg, fold over and crimp with fork.
- Pierce top with fork several times and brush top with beaten egg.
- Cook at 400 until pastry is golden brown.
Serve with yogurt, chutneys or relishes if desired.